Bad skin care habits can increase your risk of acne, premature aging, wrinkles, and more. Some are habits you’re totally aware of and others are seemingly innocent things you do every day that can impact the health and beauty of your skin. Here are a few skin sins to shed, starting today.
- Sun sins. Indoors or out, tanning is considered the number one skin sin no-no. Always, always use sunblock when you go outdoors and if you simply must have a little color, consider alternatives like sunless tanners and bronzers.
- Lifestyle issues come to the surface. Too much alcohol and caffeine can dehydrate your skin and give it a dull appearance. Smoking has been reported to contribute to the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. If you sleep less than 8 hours a night, you’re shortchanging your skin, which could mean dark circles under your eyes.
- Don’t be picky. Resist the urge to pick that blemish. This quick fix can be nothing but trouble for your skin. It may look like you’re getting rid of the problem, but you’re actually pushing the bacteria deeper into your skin, which could lead to the formation of even more acne spots. Long-term picking can also create the possibility of scars—so stop picking, pronto. If you have acne-prone skin, make sure to be vigilant about skin care with the Obagi CLENZIderm M.D.™ System.
- Put this bad habit to bed. Going to bed with your makeup on is a skin sin that can leave the entire day’s accumulation of dirt, grime, and oil on your skin to seep into pores, clogging them and putting you at risk for acne. Make a clean break with this habit by creating a healthy evening routine where you cleanse, tone, and moisturize.
- Some like it too hot. You may enjoy a long hot shower, but your skin can’t take the heat without being stripped of its natural oils. This can result in dry, flaky, itchy skin. Eliminate this skin sin by turning down the heat and lingering less in the shower.
- Let’s talk about your phone. Holding your phone against your cheek creates a warm and moist environment where bacteria can thrive, which can lead to skin irritations. Make sure to lightly wipe your phone off daily and alternate which side of your face you hold your phone against to minimize the risk of developing skin problems.
Printed with permission from the Obagi website because www.HealthyGlowSkinStore.com is an Authorized Retailer of Obagi Products.